Logo
totopickpro1 @totopickpro1
'I've seen this a lot...is it Klinsmann?" England's Southgate says after draw "I didn't have Philips"

England manager Gareth Southgate (53) has blamed the absence of Calvin Phillips (28-Manchester City) for the draw against Denmark.

England played Denmark to a hard-fought 1-1 draw in their UEFA Euro 2024 Group B second leg at the Frankfurt am Main Arena in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, on Tuesday (June 20).

It was a performance that should have been a walkover, with many saying that the midfield, especially Declan Rice (Arsenal) and Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), were not up to the task. British publication Tribuna also criticized the players, saying "the second half was sloppy."

Southgate was not immune to criticism. His baffling substitution tactics, such as "never" bringing on Cole Palmer (Chelsea), angered local fans, and his inability to react to changes in the opposition's tactics was lamented.

To make matters worse, with an all-time great midfield featuring Rice, Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Bellingham, and Kobi Mainu (Manchester United), he singled out Phillips for what he called his "worst performance" last season.

"Alexander Arnold showed a number of things against Denmark that we were hoping for," Southgate told the BBC after the game, "but we haven't found a suitable replacement for Phillips at the moment. "It's true that at the moment he's not getting the performances we want and we haven't found a suitable replacement for Phillips," he said.

He added: "I think people are disappointed, and rightly so. We need to be much better, and we need to fix the fact that we don't know what to do with the ball when we have it," he added, criticizing the subpar performance.

Southgate's "out-of-body" approach, reminiscent of former South Korea coach Jürgen Klinsmann's, has been met with a chilly response from local fans. "No manager would ever experiment in the Euros," "Did you forget about Phillips last season?" and "Adam Wotton (Crystal Palace), what the hell are you doing with Mainu?" were some of the sharp criticisms on social media.

https://www.totopick.pro
4 months ago

No replys yet!

It seems that this publication does not yet have any comments. In order to respond to this publication from totopickpro1 , click on at the bottom under it